[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: CERN httpd proxy vs. SOCKS

On Sat, 5 Nov 1994, Jim Hart wrote:

Actually there is another solution that seems to be the best of all worlds.
It is the http-gw from tis.  Its part of the new (released today) version
of the fwtk from tis.  It sits on your bastian machine where the socks
server would sit and works with just about every version of www client that
I have tried.  If I read the instructions correctly it will even work with
a non proxy aware version of Mosaic.  I have not had a chance to try that
yet.

Now to answer your question.  There are more http proxy aware www clients
than there are socks aware clients.  In addition the Mac Mosaic socks
support is reported to be buggy while the http proxy stuff works well.

Jim

--
Jim Murray              INET        jjm@jjm.com
2 Mohawk Circle         SMART UUCP  jjm@jjmhome.uucp